Monday, September 1, 2008

A Cluster of Spiders

These webs, these infernal webs, they're everywhere I go, thrown up in a quarter-hour or less. Tell me again how beneficial my arachnoid friends are, I need to hear it...
Here's one of my half-dozen common brown garden spiders, this time hiding under a leaf of the butterfly bush. Why? I don't know. All I know is, he's the size of a U.S. nickel and if he hides like this he'll wind up in my hair.

Lest this pretty green thing appear too dainty, its look is accented with spiky leg hairs.
Very scary.

All kinds of spiders are living in the depths of the tomato-plant patch, making it impossible to harvest the tomatoes in the middle. Low light also makes it impossible to photograph the spiders. Lose-lose.
And here, a funnel-web builder set up shop just a few inches from the sidewalk, weaving his luminous carpet on top of the junipers and then:
Waiting. ....................>

No comments: